Friday, November 20, 2009

I want to write my Hebrew name (in Hebrew alef-bet) but I'm not sure about the inclusion of "bat"...

I know the way to write my name and my father's name but if I wanted to write my "full name" would I include the translation for bat... [tav, bet]....? So if you were going R to L...





(fathers name) tav, bet (my name)





Im sorry to ask it on here but I need to know pretty soon but can't get in contact with anyone who I know will know the answer!

I want to write my Hebrew name (in Hebrew alef-bet) but I'm not sure about the inclusion of "bat"...
First off, I take it you're female, as you're using the word bat instead of ben.





As for using your father's Hebrew name, it's usually only in religious context (e.g. when called to the Torah), and your last name is not used. But if you want it, it goes [your name] bat [your fathers' name].





As an example, if your name is Tamar and your father name is Joseph, your name would be 转诪专 讘转 讬讜住祝.





If it is not in a religious context simply your first and last names would suffice.
Reply:I agree with richmaninthemaking, and just wanted to add that if you are asking someone to pray for you, then it is customary to use the mother's name, rather than the father's name.





The mother's name is used in this context because it's an appeal for mercy.

honeysuckle

No comments:

Post a Comment